One Good Horse

One Good Horse

Monday, December 24, 2012

The Downward Spiral

I cancelled my entry for the Indiana event, soaked Cappy's feet religiously, and waited.

He came sound behind relatively quickly, but the fronts were not going as well. We tried shoes. With nothing apparent on the soles with hoof testing, we tried pads with the next shoeing. While he succeeded in kicking off the expensive bell boots I was using, he did not come sound.

The $8 Dover bell boots stayed on. I gave the Italian ones to J.

Cappy was snuffing up some bute everyday, and still lame. I ended up moving Cappy up to Marilyn's. He continued to be lame, but at least it was closer to home.

I had our good leg-vet come and check him. He cut some more on Cappy's left front, and with a little Venice turpentine to toughen up the area, within days Cappy was fine.

Sort of fine.

I was leading him down to the sheep pastures via the neighbor's paved drive, as I obviously did not want to take him down the graveled hill of Marilyn's.  As we walked down the steep drive, I noticed an odd scraping sound.

Cappy was dragging both hind toes along the driveway as we walked down.

How peculiar.

No comments:

Post a Comment