One good horse can give you dreams, carry you far, show you who you are ~ this may not be what you expected.
One Good Horse
Wednesday, December 26, 2012
A glimmer of good in the bad?
Cappy continued to unenthusiastically eat his heavily medicated meals, and was turned out in the small paddock, alone but in sight of the other horses. The vet wanted him to have quiet turnout, with no rough -housing.
The older horses were up at the barn, while the younger horses were taken down to the sheep pasture for a few days at a stretch, to take advantage of the grass. I was up visiting my little hay burner everyday to fuss and groom him and feed, but he was mostly just enjoying the "Relaxed" setting as prescribed.
I had started him on high doses of Vitamin E and also the Hilton Herbs immune boosting formulation at the time, ten days on and five off. I was doing what I could, I felt. And Cappy really hadn't been that bad when we diagnosed him and started treatment. He had never failed any of the strength tests, just the coordination stuff, and spatial placement, and...
sigh
This was September and another Keeneland Sale rolled around. The sales were a good chance for me to make a fair amount of money in a short time frame, to supplement my full time job. I headed south, leaving Cappy's medication regime in the capable hands of Marilyn.
Within two days, however, my check in phone call was met with unusual news. What is it about going out of town that gets this horse so riled up?
Apparently, he'd gotten lonely? Was looking for me? Was just plain bored?
He jumped out.
The lowest section in the paddock was 4'9", and there were no marks on the fence, although some convenient hoofprints on either side.
Uh, Go Cap?!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment