The neuro exam pointed towards EPM. She could draw a blood test, but in our area of the country, most horses will test positive on the blood test even if there is no spinal cord involvement, and thus not symptomatic. It was decided to haul him to the vet clinic to perform a spinal tap, after first taking x-rays to rule out wobbles or other vertebral causes for his neurological symptoms.
Since bute masks ataxia, it seemed likely that Cappy had been fighting these protozoans for a bit longer than just the last few days.
We hauled out to the vet clinic, and the spinal x-rays showed no cause for his symptoms. He was led in to the stocks, sedated, and I held his head and him as still as I could while the area above his sacrum was shaved and prepped for the spinal tap.
| |
| Photo stolen from UFL.edu. Not Cappy. |
When the results came in, it was no surprise... EPM. While there is always a risk of false positive if any blood accidentally contaminates the sample, there was little question with Cappy.
I had the choice between two EPM meds my vet recommeded. As my vet was more inclined towards the diclazuril, and a friend's horse had done Marquis with less than good results, he was started on the dicalzuril as soon as it could be shipped to me.
From Canada. Where it was produced to use in chicken feed.
Unlike the pretty little concoctions we have today, this was non-FDA approved trenches. In order to coerce Mr. Cappy into eating his POUND of white powder twice a day, he had soaked beet pulp with some grain and the powder mixed in thoroughly, and you waited until he was finished before you gave him hay. There were many woeful stares and heartfelt sighs from the bay beastie, but he needed his medicine.
I don't comment often on blogs, but I was so happy to log on today and see TWO entries! It's the best Christmas ever!
ReplyDeleteI check this blog daily. Can't wait to hear the rest of Cappy's story.
Glad I could make Christmas a little brighter ;-)
ReplyDelete