Our number was called, and we trotted into the ring, Cap feeling good and looking around at the small crowd leaning on the black board fence. I cued for canter and he picked it up happily, and we cantered our opening circle to the right in a good rhythm. It brought us right in nicely with our first fence, a small green and white striped vertical, perhaps seven strides away. Cappy slowed to a trot.
As if an invisible anchor had been thrown out behind him, Cap trotted a few steps, then walked two, then stopped. I kept my leg on, and I encouraged him to go forward, but I also knew he was thinking. He was gauging a jump he had never seen before, in a strange arena, with wet, unknown footing. He was green, and a nice horse; looking at my long range goal I knew that I did not want to fight him or frighten him by driving forward when all he was wanting was another moment to think. The fence was perhaps 2'2", small enough to hop over from walk. I kept my leg on, and clucked.
Cap figured out the situation, took two trot steps, jumped and cantered on. I swept a hand along his shoulder, gave him a quick "Good boy," and kept him lined up for the second fence. He spotted it, and slowed to a trot to access the situation.
Oh God, this is going to be one hell of round if he does this at EVERY fence...
Assessment made, he trotted right up to the base~ yeah! we didn't break to walk!~ jumped, and we cantered around the corner towards jump three. He sited in on it, I applied leg, and he maintained his steady canter rhythm. Up and over, with me looking for the next fence.
By the fifth fence, I felt confident he would keep going, and I tried to fix my equitation...
I was so proud of my little green bean! We finished up nicely. It had not been perfect or smooth, but he had recognized his job and done it with a good attitude and enthusiasm. No rushing, no nervousness, pretty steady pace from fence three on... what a good boy.
The first fence counted as a refusal, even though he did not take a step back. I was still pleased with our round. Watching it later on the video J took I could see his halt/hesitation was not even a full second.
His first jumping round, and only my second ever in a show.
I untacked him and left him to munch hay while I went to watch the other competitors. Finally it was time to load up and head home.
I led him out onto the gravel drive, and he loaded readily for the two hour drive home.
Unbeknownst to me, there was an unwelcome and in many ways fateful companion riding in there with him.

Oh no.
ReplyDelete