One Good Horse

One Good Horse

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Can he reach the grass?

With two weeks left before graduation, I bought Cappy. I knew my parents would not be very happy, but I wanted a horse, and I knew I could work with this horse. He was active without being crazy. He was athletic. He was smart. He was in my price range. Dirt cheap.

I was somewhat terrified as senior year was finishing up that if I didn't find a way to do something with horses, I would fall out of riding. I did not want to spend years doing office work and only later become a re-rider. I knew the fear that horses could cause and worried if I didn't stay in riding, my fear would be too great and I would never ride again. I wanted to stay in the game, and I wanted to event.

That was quite a burden for one little horse to carry. Fortunately, he wasn't aware of my baggage. And fortunately, I wasn't aware of all of his baggage. Things I did know:

He had been under saddle less than 20 times.
He was still very leery of people on his right side. He obviously had not been handled much before J got him.
He slept like the dead, and made little whale noises when he slept.
He was sketchy on the concept of grain.
He was sound at a PPE done on him a few months before.
He had a slightly big right knee.
He had a lot of scars, especially on his hind legs. He was healing from a cut when I met him, in fact.
He was 3 or 4 years old.
Most interesting of all: he didn't talk. He didn't nicker, neigh, or make any of the usual sounds. He did snort, however.

J trailered him up to my neighbors' place for me, and I gave her money and a handshake that the rest would be in her hands in a month or less. I grazed my new horse on the lawn, getting to know him. A touch on his right side had him sailing high and far away from me. He cast me a dirty look.
Sigh.

He spent a few days up at Marilyn's getting turned out in the paddock while I was back up at school. The vet came out to look at him, give him spring shots and pull another Coggins, and verified his age as four. Great! I can ride him more, then. Maybe start jumping in the fall. It was a mixed blessing, though. If he had been 3, there was a chance his withers would catch up to his hindquarters. Oh, well.

I had spoken with my dressage friend who had several nice Hanoverian/TB crosses, one of whom I had been riding since the previous summer. I told her about Cap, and his quirks and his conformation, uh, flaws. I knew when I tried him out, though, that even if his front end did not catch up to his hindquarters in height, he was still a very nice horse, and one I could enjoy. If he only ever could do trails, he would still be fun. I admit, though, that I really wanted to be able to compete with him. So I obsessed about his butt-highness, his knee, his short neck.

"Do you think his neck is too short?" I asked. (She hasn't even seen the horse in question.)

"Well, can he reach the grass?"

"Uh, well, yes." I laughed at her teasing. I needed to relax. Wait. He does seem to graze with one leg really forward. Is that because...?


Meanwhile, as this was exam week and I could drive home to see him more often, I had moved him down to the sheep fields. I wanted him to have plenty of space, and more grass, and to bond with me, not my neighbors.

I pulled in to the driveway and stared at him as I got out of the car. Yeah, he could reach the grass. He always stood downhill with his head out straight, so he didn't have far to stretch.

Oh, dear.

No comments:

Post a Comment